Comedian Brad Upton
A magician and a comedian do a podcast– on a cruise ship. I don’t have a punchline but we’re probably both bloated. Enjoy.
Being an entertainer who works cruise shops a lot you meet interesting people. Or at least your chances are higher. Working on ships is very competitive right now and the quality of the acts is showing that. Cruise lines are actively trying to becoming more hip. The chances of meeting interesting people who are a little more unique, fun or down right weird — it’s just greatly intensified at sea.
The way I see it there are the following 4 stages of the shiplife:
- The Occasionals or the Newbs (newbs is the short form for newbies– which used to be a short form for something) opportunity feels great to this group– It’s exciting times.
- Fulltimers — they work ships full time. Most of their years income gets served with a plated breakfast and and a bathrobe. Unless your work Carnival. Apparently, I dunno that’s what I’ve been told. After the full timers we get
- Kickassers– this is the acts or groups that have a little extra sparkle, or in some cases extra pat on the back from the cruise line bookers, aka agents.
- Legends — the acts who have trampled over the ocassionalists and the newbs to earn the wisdom of fulltimers and keep their kickassers nametag– these are the full time ass kicking legends.
I said I’m in walking in Fulltimer Ass Kisser territory or at least I’m stepping in patches of it and Brad is walking with legends.
Brad gives several nuggets and wisdom for performers through stories about his career– and we both discuss some of the oddities of ship life.
- Get To the Funny Part– how he writes the funniest possible joke.
- An entertainers career at really difficult times of life
- The complexities of adding new material.
- What comes first? The better you get the better your own standards get.
- Confidence the real secret to being a good performer? When confidence is most important.
- Wanna be a comedian– A logical action to take for an ideal first step
If you are listening for the first time Touring Tricks is also the name of my weekly webseries which you should check out– http://www.youtube.com/ryanjoycemagic or http://www.facebook.com/ryanjoycemagic.
Listen to more episodes: www.ryanjoyce.com