How to write gooder.
Writing comedy for magicians & artists.
If you want to improve the quality of your show, then you must spend time scripting and writing. There is no avoiding it. But how? Every professional performer has honed their writing skills and if you want to take your show to the next level this podcast is for you. Ryan Joyce talks with comedian, writer and performer Michael Paul about comedy writing and how to get started.
My guest on the podcast is Michael Paul Ziegfeld who has written for comedians including David Lettermen, Bill Maher, Chelsey Handler and Ellen DeGeneres. He has television credits on The Tonight Show, Saturday Night Live and has lent his voice to Pixar and Jim Henson Productions. He has acted alongside Katherine Heigl in the movie 27 Dresses and coached Kevin Spacey in the movie The Ventriloquist. The heart and soul of his work is his own performances that have taken him around the globe, headlining theatre tours, comedy clubs, cruise ships and opening for names like Lisa Lampanelli, James Brown and Joan Rivers.
If you have been thinking about writing new material for your show or improving existing scripts—this podcast is for you
In this podcast we discuss the following:
- How the most successful performers write material
- How to write material for yourself, by yourself.
- The 3 questions you must ask yourself when writing comedy.
- Who you should avoid when collaborating with others.
- What every performer fears and how to avoid making these mistakes
- Where to get inspiration for your writing material
- Why we mimic other performers and how to avoid becoming a “hack”
- What to do after every show to accelerate your growth as a performer
- And more…
Plus Ryan shares 8 ideas for a better writing mindset and how to optimize the time you spend creating scripts and content.
This Touring Tricks Podcast is jam packed with valuable information from working professionals with the goal of trying to help out other performers. Don’t miss this episode.